Last Updated: Sep 08, 2021
Information Collection: Personally Identifiable Information
• FOR THE PURPOSES OF (i) retaining IAKL membership, (ii) sharing information among IAKL members, (iii) participating in IAKL Annual Conferences, various IAKL meetings and functions, (vi) sending out IAKL newsletters to IAKL members, etc., we may ask you via our Site to provide certain personally identifiable information (“Personal Information”) and your consent to our use and collection of such Personal Information. Such Personal Information may include your name (in English and Korean), Law Firm/Company/Law School, Position, Practice Area, Licensed Jurisdiction(s), Address, Email Address, Telephone Number, Fax Number, Mobile Number, Log Data, “Cookies” and Pixel Tags. Also, when you make payment for registration fee, we may collect and/or use your billing information (e.g., Credit card number, bank account number).
• You may decline to provide your Personal Information to the extent that such Personal Information is not required for our provision of the Services (e.g., your name in Korean, Fax Number, Mobile Number).
• We may use your Personal Information until (i) you revoke your consent to our collection and/or use of your Personal Information; and /or (ii) you apply to cancel your membership. However, we may use your Personal Information for the necessary period in order to achieve the objectives – such as complying with relevant laws and regulations, preventing reactivation of unqualified members, handling civil affairs and dispute resolution, etc.
• We also collect other information that you provided as part of registration and the administration of IAKL Annual Conferences (e.g., your attendance at the event, seminar participation, your areas of interest, and hotel information) (“Non-Identifying Information”).
• We also use your Personal Information to contact you with IAKL newsletters and other information that may be of interest to you. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow below instructions to unsubscribe.
We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Services (without limitation, e.g., service maintenance, database management, web analysis, and improvement of our Services’ features) on our behalf, or to assist us in analyzing how Services are used. These third parties have access to your Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purposes. The list of service providers are as follows:
Name of A Third Party Outsourced Task(s)
Conference Event Platform provider
Conference Website designer
Providing Personal Information to Third Parties
We will not provide or disseminate your Personal Information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law. The following table outlines the ways in which we provide your Personal Information to third parties.
Recipients Recipients’ Intended Purpose(s) for Using Your Personal Information Categories of Personal Information Provided to Third Parties Recipients’ Authorized Period for Retention and Use of Your Personal Information
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Ministry of Justice
Ministry of Finance and Economy
Korean Bar Association Coordination with lawyers in other countries Name, Affiliation (Law Firm/Company/Law School), Position, Practice Area, Licensed Jurisdiction, Address, E-mail Address, Work Phone Number and Country.
Until you revoke your permission
See the sponsor list in IAKL website. Coordination with lawyers in other countries; and sending newsletters Name, Affiliation, work e-mail address, and Country.
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement
IAKL cooperates with the Korean government, law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information on you to the government, law enforcement officials, or private parties as we, at our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process(es) (including but not limited to subpoenas) (i) to protect the property and rights of IAKL and/or a third party, (ii) to protect the safety of the public and/or any individual, or (iii) to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be illegal, unethical, and/or legally actionable.
Changing or Deleting Your Information
You may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a request to delete your Personal Information. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request. We may retain an archived copy of your records as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
You may, at any time, write to email@example.com to either (i) revoke your consent to our collection, use, and/or provision to a third party of your Personal Information; (ii) request access to your Personal Information; and/or (iii) request that any inaccuracy in your Personal Information be corrected, deleted, and/or suspended. You can freely request us to suspend the processing of your Personal Information at any time, and we will comply with your request, provided that there are no limitations imposed upon us in relation to privacy and related laws.
Your legal agent can exercise the right to make a request on your behalf.
IAKL takes safeguarding your Personal Information seriously. We employ reasonable, physical, technological, and administrative security measures and attempt to ensure that they are applicable under any circumstances. No method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
If IAKL learns of a security breach that results in an unauthorized disclosure of your Personal Information, we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective actions. By using the Services or providing Personal Information to us, you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Services. IAKL may post a notice on its Site if a security breach occurs. Such notice shall include reasonable description of the following: (i) the types of information disclosed through a security breach; (ii) the timing of such security breach and the cause therefor; (iii) possible steps and countermeasures which may be taken by the owner of the disclosed Personal Information to minimize damages that may arise from such security breach; and (iv) name and contact information of our personnel whom shall be in charge of receiving your claim with respect to any loss that you may incur due to such security breach. If this happens, you will need a web browser to be able to view the notice. IAKL may also send an e-mail to you at the e-mail address that you have provided to us for notification pursuant to this paragraph. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive free written notice of a security breach (or to withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice), you should notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Secure Destruction of Personal Information
IAKL is expected to securely dispose of personal information that is no longer required to prevent unauthorized access, inappropriate use, or identity theft, for example, (i) dispose of paper records securely by cross-cut shredding, (ii) dispose of personal information stored on electronic devices (such as disks, CDs, DVDs, USB storage devices, and hard drives) securely by physically damaging the item and discarding it, or by using a wipe utility to remove the original information.
Your information may be transferred to — and maintained on — IAKL Overseas located outside of KOREA. We will ask you to provide us with your consent to such international transfer of your Personal Information, as well as your agreement and acknowledgment on (i) technical and administrative measures to protect the Personal Information; (ii) measures to manage and resolve difficulties and/or any disputes which may arise from the infringement of Personal Information; and (iii) other measures which are necessary to protect the your Personal Information.
Links to Other Sites
Our Services contain links to other websites and online services. We do not exercise control over third party websites or services. These third party websites or services may place their own cookies or other files on your computer, collect data or solicit personal information from you. They follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information that you submitted to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of their websites and services that you use.
[ International Association of Korean Lawyers ]
+82-10-9759-2019 (10am – 4pm Korean Time).